Saturday 7 April 2018

Playtime with Springtails

I've been experimenting with different materials to make corrals for photographing springtails:
Down at the Blu Tack Corral


I started by using Blu Tack, because I had it to hand. Blu Tack works OK, but if you stretch it, it gives off sticky fibres which animals get stuck on (it is, after all, designed to stick things).

I decided that Plasticine might be better, but I couldn't find any. What I did find was Play Doh, which is slightly better than Blue Tack and is nice and soft so it's easy to press the slides together to get just the right depth. However, it does leave a sticky residue on slides - and I have watched springtails trying to eat it! I finally found some Plasticine. This is probably the best of the three, although it is quite stiff and needs quite a lot of pressure to get to the right depth.

Conclusion: Blu tack, Play Doh and Plasticine all work - give it a go and decide which you like best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.