Saturday 9 March 2019

02.03.19 - Ingarsby

I visited a small area of woodland beside the road at Ingarsby. Conditions were very dry so I started by sampling as close to the stream as I could. This yielded two Dicyrtomina saundersi, plus numerous Orchesella cincta, Tomocerus vulgaris and lots of Lepidocyrtus lignorum (predominantly pale with faint traces of blue pigment on the head, thorax and legs; scales present on the legs and ant1+ant2, no scales on ant3+ant4 (c.f. L. curvicollis); eyepatch roundish (less elongate than other species); no interocular macrosetae):

Lepidocyrtus lignorum


I also sampled the trunks of several Ash trees and the moss on them. Here Orchesella cincta was very abundant but there were also quite a few Tomocerus vulgaris. Although it is regarded as a common species, I don't record T. vulgaris as often as I see Tomocerus minor:

Tomocerus vulgaris

However, the scales are easily lost, these specimens were confirmed by the presence of simple (rather than three-pointed) spines on the dens:

Tomocerus vulgaris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.