Wednesday 22 May 2019

The pitfalls of studying springtails

Lepidocyrtus cyaneus


To get a complete picture of the springtails in an area it's necessary to combine various collection methods, including pitfall trapping. This is not something I have done before but I have been running a pitfall trap for a few days. It collects a wide variety of taxa but since I'm running a dry trap the organisms I don't think I can identify are returned to run free without harm. Several springtails species have turned up so far, including numerous specimens of small (~1mm) Lepidocyrtus. I struggled to identify these until I eventually figured out that they are Lepidocyrtus cyaneus, seemingly the predominant species at present on my collecting site.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.