Sunday 1 July 2018

17.06.18 - Billa Barra

Although it had been very dry for the past month I was hopeful that rain over the previous 24 hours would mean more springtails. In the event, sampling from wet vegetation proved to be quite tricky. I didn't not find any springtails on Gorse, which was still quite dry, but there were lots on the grass. In the field, I thought I had found Sminthurus viridis but on closer examination, these proved to be aphids! Only one species was present, Deuterosminthurus pallipes (form repandus) - this is by far the predominant arboreal species at present, seemingly undeterred by warm dry weather.

Deuterosminthurus pallipes

Deuterosminthurus pallipes

Ocelli [3 (B C H) - 1 (D) - 4(A E F G)]:
Deuterosminthurus pallipes ocelli



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.