Tuesday 18 September 2018

You know it's autumn when...

Jordanathrix nr superba

You know it's autumn when ... Jordanathrix nr. superba reappears. I've only ever seen this species in winter, although how much of that is down to the time of year I tend to look for them is unclear, but they certainly haven't been around much over the summer (although I did find one in June). This year it would be nice to record this species somewhere else in VC55 other than my back garden! I would expect Dicyrtomina saundersi to be reappearing soon now and over the last week I've seen a couple of reports of Katianna sp nov emerging. This specimen was beaten from Ivy two metres off the ground. I've only ever seen these actually on the ground in fairly damp conditions previously so this was generally a rather interesting observation. This one is also a little weird as it has a distinct colour change on the antennae - not as sharp as in D. saundersi perhaps but not typically unicoloured as in D. ornata. Seemingly an aberrant ("infrasubspecific") individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.