Wednesday 21 November 2018

14.11.18 - Great Merrible

My first return to Great Merrible since 12.05.18. On that occasion I well remember having to beat a retreat - unstoppable sneezing and eyes streaming so that I couldn't focus on anything, the hayfever forced me to give up. This trip was much more fun - autumn colours and a pleasant temperature. I concentrated on looking for springtails in decaying wood. This turned up a few Pogonognathellus longicornis and a large number of Lepidocyrtus lignorum:

Lepidocyrtus lignorum


One piece of wet wood literally broke up in my hand and deep inside I found Neanura muscorum. This is regarded as a common species but is my first record for VC55:

Neanura muscorum

This species has no furca - a springless springtail:

Neanura muscorum


Great Merrible:

Great Merrible







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.