Monday 19 November 2018

16.11.18 - Leicester Botanical Garden

I went back to Leicester Botanical Garden looking for male Entomobrya nigrocincta (no luck), but while I was there I found some interesting specimens. I started by sampling from a south facing Rosemary hedge (this meant I spent the rest of the day reeking of Rosemary, which was nice except that it makes me think of roast lamb). This turned up huge numbers of Entomobrya multifasciata, but also some other interesting species, Katiannidae genus nov.1 sp. nov.:

Katiannidae genus nov.1 sp. nov.

and Katiannidae genus nov.1 sp. nov.2:

Katiannidae genus nov.1 sp. nov.2


I then moved on to the clump of Ivy that had yielded the lone female Entomobrya nigrocincta. Once again I found large numbers of Entomobrya intermedia, but this time also a few Entomobrya multifasciata (which was a bit worrying). There were some more Katiannidae genus nov. but the most striking finds here were a number of Jordanathrix nr superba and quite a lot of the biggest Dicyrtomina saundersi I have ever seen - huge beasts!

Dicyrtomidae


I will be making future visits to the Garden to keep looking for Entomobrya nigrocincta and to study the Katiannidae genus nov. further.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.